Changing the Delimiter of a CSV file to a Pipe or Other Character
Comma-Separated Files are incredibly useful, but a lot of the frustration with them from my point of view is that they use commas to separate values in a row when there are many commas in those values. Wouldn’t it make a lot more sense for Excel and any other application that can save to a CSV file to dlimit those values with something other than a comma? Yes it would, and it turns out, there are 5 simple steps to enforce that change.
- Open the Region (and Language) Control Panel
- Click on Additional Settings and the Customise Format dialog appears.
- Stay on the Numbers tab and change the List Separator value to a pipe | or other character as required.
- Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog.
- Click OK to close the control panel.